- Idea of overall project scope
- Shortlist or final site selection (optional)
- Safeguards Categorization (by WWF GEF Safeguards Coordinator)
Preliminary Environmental and Social Safeguards Screen
The preliminary Environmental and Social Safeguards Screen (ESS Screen) process includes completing a PIF stage template that provides an initial idea of risks in all of the project land or seascapes. Risks can include risks to the project as well as risks arising from the project interventions. The WWF-US ESS Team will send the PIF EES Screening template to the Project Development Team for completion. Usually, one person on the Project Development Team completes the drafting of the PIF ESS Screen with input from the government and other stakeholders. It is helpful if the general scope of project activities and sites (or what the project is financing), have been determined at this stage, though it is not necessary for beginning the process.
When the Project team has completed the preliminary ESS Screen, the WWF-US ESS Team will review and clarify missing information prior to approving the document and then categorize the project into one of the three risk categorizes – A, B or C. A preliminary Categorization Memorandum will be issued at this stage
- Category A (High Risk): Full or comprehensive Environment and Social Impact Assessment [ESIA] is required
- Category B (Moderate Risk): Partial assessment is required
- Category C (Low Risk): No further assessment is required
Please see the WWF Environmental and Social Safeguards Integrated Policies and Procedures (SIPP) for more information.