- ProDoc and CEO Endorsement signed off at validation workshop
- Final ProDoc and CEO Endorsement
- GEF Review sheet (if required)
Submit ProDoc Package
A full proposal package is considered complete when the following documents are completed and approved:
- WWF GEF Project Document;
- GEF Request for CEO Endorsement/Approval Template;
- GEF Core Indicators Worksheet (If the project accesses the Special Climate Change Fund (SCCF) or Least Developed Countries Fund (LDCF), a specialized Tracking Tool for Climate Change Adaptation should be used),
- Gender Analysis and Action Plan
- Relevant Safeguards documents
- Stakeholder Engagement Plan
- GEF Budget template
- Letters of Commitment from all co-financing partners.
WWF GEF Agency Review
The WWF GEF Agency review follows the same format as the review done prior to PIF/PFD submission:
- Upstream Review: The WWF GEF Agency will review the ProDoc package to ensure: a) alignment with GEF objectives and policies; b) compliance with WWF GEF policies and procedures, and; c) quality and GEFability of the document. The upstream review will provide comments for detailed revisions of the ProDoc.
- Formal Review: The formal review takes place once all revisions are incorporated, and the full ProDoc package is ready for submission. The formal review will typically consist of minimal changes, and ensures that all previous comments have been addressed.
Government and partner sign-off
Before submission to the GEF Secretariat, the ProDoc package should be sent around to partners and relevant government ministries (including the OFP) for final sign-off.
GEF Secretariat Review
Once the ProDoc package is approved by the WWF GEF Agency and signed-off by partners and government, it will go to the GEF Secretariat for technical clearance. Revisions may be (and usually are) requested by the GEF Secretariat through a formal Review Sheet. There may be multiple reviews from the GEF Secretariat. Each comment must be addressed in the ProDoc and CEO Endorsement Document in blue text, with a short description provided in the response matrix noting the corresponding page numbers where adjustments were made.
Questions asked during the review
Questions asked during the review by both the WWF GEF Agency and GEF Secretariat include (for a full list of review questions, see attachments below):
- If there are any changes from that presented in the PIF, have justifications been provided?
- Is the project structure/ design appropriate to achieve the expected outcomes and outputs?
- Is the financing adequate and does the project demonstrate a cost-effective approach to meet the project objective?
- Does the project take into account potential major risks, including the consequences of climate change, and describes sufficient risk response measures? (e.g., measures to enhance climate resilience?)
Once technically cleared by the GEF Secretariat, final approval takes place:
- For standalone projects, a technically cleared project will be sent to the CEO for formal approval.
- For programs and child project annexes, the ProDoc package is circulated to Council for comment (4 weeks). Changes may be requested to the project documents. Once the project passes Council inspection, the technically cleared project will be sent to the CEO for formal approval.
All submitted GEF project documents are public. The last step before execution of activities may begin is Agency Approval.