- Project activities (what is the project financing)
- Shortlist or final site selection
- Safeguards Categorization (by WWF GEF Safeguards Coordinator)
Once the Project Development Team defines the project activities and sites (or what the project is financing), the WWF GEF Agency Safeguards Coordinator will screen the project for environmental and social impacts and categorize the project into one of the three categorizes – A, B or C. Refer to the Policy on Environmental and Social Risk Management for more information.
- Category A: Full or comprehensive Environment and Social Impact Assessment [ESIA] is required
- Category B: Partial assessment is required
- Category C: No further assessment is required
In determining the category, the WWF GEF Agency will consider relevant risks such as type, location, sensitivity and scale of the project, the nature and magnitude of the potential environmental and social risks and impacts. WWF will disclose the project’s category on WWF’s website.
The categorization will also assess the capacity of the Executing Agency to implement WWF's environmental and social safeguards.
Please note, once the project is categorized, the WWF GEF Agency Safeguards Coordinator will discuss next steps with the Project Team.
Please see the WWF Environmental and Social Safguards Integrated Policies and Procedures (SIPP) for more information.